Saturday, June 27, 2009

Oh Yeah, And Another Thing It Isn't!

When the acupuncturist looked over my chart and said, "Fibromylagia, huh?" I was thrown, but I knew he'd be using a different diagnostic system anyhow, so it didn't really matter what my diagnosis by Western terms might be.

Since it was on my chart, however, I gently mentioned it to my primary care doctor, an osteopath. Please excuse abbreviations: I had a character limit to work within so I kept it brief. (Bet you wish I had one of those on this blog!)

Dear Dr. Osteopath:
Acupuncturist said Fibromylagia; my understanding was diagnosis is Chronic Fatigue so wanted to check that.
Also learned that WHO uses term Myalgic Encephalomyelitis and under that term found information that seems possibly of help to me. I'd like to know what you think.
Some articles I can't access as they're in med jrnls that req subscriptions: http://www.name-us.org/DefintionsPages/DefOverview.htm
This definition seems to describe well what has happened to me and my son: http://www.nightingale.ca/documents/Nightingale_ME_Definition_en.pdf
Life impacts worsening, trying to get disability and housing, able to work less since first saw you, trying to do as you said and adjust to lower levels of activity.
Wondering if these descriptions and possible tests might help me establish disability for benefits.
Starting Pain Management Aug 11, hope that will help.
Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Creek

Her answer:

Dear Creek,
Many times people use fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue interchangeably.
Regarding tests, etc, I have never seen a need for them in order to verify disease for disability purposes.
Hope the pain management program is helpful.
Dr. Osteopath

Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia the same??? And no response at all about Myalgic Encephalomyelitis.

Now, it is possible for a person to be cursed with both ME and Fibro, but I pray that's not the situation I face. What I was hoping for was a clarification of my diagnosis.

Further, I was hoping that she might run tests to confirm the fairly obvious ME diagnosis.

In my wildest dreams I hoped she might help me follow the protocol for care of ME.

What I got was more muddle. It's going to be a long haul educating doctors, or else maybe a move to Canada.

Oh, Canada!

1 comment:

  1. Well, if I had a Canadian option, I'd take it, fer shure. So sorry you got the short, unhelpful version of an answer from Dr. Osteo. Sending you a huge shot of "chi" to energize you as you form your 2nd query, repeating the questions the doc failed to respond to and demanding full explanations for the muddled reply already given.

    ReplyDelete