Friday, September 2, 2016

A new mascot for M.E.

The M.E. community has been stirred into unusual activity for spoonies, by the recent research by the Naviauxs, Gordon, et al, showing the peculiar metabolic profile of M.E. patients.

"Despite the heterogeneity of CFS, the diversity of factors that lead to this condition, our findings show that the cellular metabolic response is the same in patients,” said Naviaux. “And interestingly, it’s chemically similar to the dauer state you see in some organisms, which kicks in when environmental stresses trigger a slow-down in metabolism to permit survival under conditions that might otherwise cause cell death. In CFS, this slow-down comes at the cost of long-term pain and disability....This work opens a fresh path to both understanding the biology of CFS and, more importantly to patients, a robust, rational way to develop new therapeutics for a disease sorely in need of them.” -quotation from UCSD News

This metabolic condition's getting described as being like hibernation, so a whole lot of cartoon bears have been cropping up in MEmes. It's time to correct that picture, and give some exposure to our real nearest metabolic cousin, the dauer worm, Caenorhabditis elegans. Let us (gently) embrace our new mascot, not a bear, but a lovely little worm who even comes, as seen in its wikipedia photo, already wearing our awareness color. 

Thanks to the ME community online for input into the development of this graphic. - Creek



4 comments:

  1. I love it! Thank you so much for creating this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it. I had fun working on it. But I guess now I had better rest, right? Rest is best!

      Delete
  2. Hi, I just found your blog in my research of nortriptyline, a medication I was just prescribed. I was "diagnosed" with fibromyalgia last summer, and I really just need someone to talk to, who understands. I am in so much constant pain, and I feel like every doctor I've been to either thinks I am insane or a "pill seeker." I am so frustrated. I need help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carla! My condolences on your Fibro Dx. I hope you can find doctors who are better-trained about neuro-immune disease (but I know they are few and far between). There are some good Facebook groups for Fibromyalgia, where you'll find people to talk to and share not only understanding but information. My top picks as far as treatment are acupuncture, cannabis, yoga, and if all else fails a tiny dose of Tramadol. But do inform yourself. There are extra dangers to you, for example, from anesthesia so if you have surgery you need to know about that and warn the anesthesiologist that you're very sensitive. There's that and more to learn, plus being your own health care advocate. It's a ton of work and a long road. Good luck to you!

      Delete